You know the feeling: It’s been a long day. You’ve been typing away on that Q3 earnings report in hopes you avoid getting Office Space’d into your cube over the weekend. Your neck is stiff, your back is sore, but you push through, eager to finish out the day.
While your boss is certainly happy you finished that report, your body is anything but pleased.
Americans are sitting for as many as 13 hours a day. Research suggests that’s damaging our health and well-being. In fact, too much sitting is cited as a key risk factor in heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and some cancers—4 of the top 7 U.S. causes of death. Too much sitting is also linked to obesity and early mortality rates.
That’s right. Sitting could literally be killing you. But there’s a simple solution: Sit less.
National Get Fit Don’t Sit Day is May 6. The American Diabetes Association recommends that all people should get up and get moving at least every 90 minutes during the day. To make this thing go viral, the Association encourages companies across the country to urge employees, whenever possible, to limit the amount of time they spend sitting at work.
By getting up and staying active, you’re helping to fight diabetes and enjoy your best health. We’ve made it easy for companies and their employees to actively participating in Get Fit Don’t Sit Day. Here’s how:
- Save the Date: Give Get Fit Don’t Sit prime real estate on your calendar: May 6. Set it, don’t forget it!
- Download Free Kick-off Materials: Our downloadable eToolkit has everything you’ll need to get your organization, family, and friends off their, um, seats and on their feet. Plus, we’ve included some chair exercises for those who must remain seated.
- Pledge to Take Part: Commit to get your company up and moving at least every 90 minutes.
- Spread the Enthusiasm: Use the eToolkit to encourage your coworkers to get active. Print posters, send emails, tape something to the coffee pot—whatever you think would work best to get your colleagues moving. Maybe hide the coffee pot—that’s sure to get people up and out of their seats.
- Share the Health: Sharing is caring. Post an image on your website or Facebook page. Write a blog. If your organization is taking the pledge, we want the scoop. Share whatever you end up doing and we’ll make your company Internet famous by recognizing you via our social media and our website. Oh, and don’t forget the hashtag #GetFitDontSit. Click here for the Get Fit Don’t Sit logo and links, which you’re welcome to use in any messaging you post.
- Step It Up: Build on the momentum of Get Fit Don’t Sit Day by forming an office team for the Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes. Walk around your building to Invite fellow employees to join a company Step Out team. Schedule group walks to prepare for the big day and to support an important vision: life free of diabetes and all its burdens. Thanks for walking the walk.
Get Fit Don’t Sit Day is an easy way to get up and get moving toward a healthier tomorrow. We look forward to seeing your smooth moves! #GetFitDontSit